By Molly Watman
As the bluegrass classic says, “I’ll ride that Orange Blossom Special, and lose these New York blues.” Spring is here! (Brooklyn weather doesn’t agree yet, but will by the end of the month). We are celebrating its arrival with a spotlight on one of our favorite ingredients: Orange Blossom. If you’ve never inhaled this scent before, you haven’t fully lived. Orange blossom (also known as neroli) essential oil is steam distilled from the fragrant white blossoms of the orange tree, Citrus Aurantium. It is the most costly of citrus essential oils. Orange blossoms are picked by hand due to their extremely delicate nature. It takes about 1000 pounds of flowers to make 1 pound of this oil. It requires a lengthy absolute extraction process, making this essential oil quite precious. Frequently described as a sweet, spicy and exotic fragrance, it is highly concentrated, and a little goes a long way. The hydro-portion of the steam distillation process is called the orange blossom hydrosol. And it’s a much less concentrated form of this flower essence that has a myriad of uses as well.
On a recent trip to Florida, these orange blossoms were found all around, from beautiful gardens to industrial parking lots. It was heavenly enough to fantasize about leaving it all and fleeing to Florida for good. Then we regained consciousness from the floral coma and headed back to real life.
Traditionally, orange blossom has been used by humans for many ailments, including the following:
- Helps promote calmness: Your nose is quite close to your brain. What you smell effects how you feel.
- Reduces mental fatigue and stress: Try taking a whiff while commuting during rush hour. It’s sure to brighten your day.
- Gently works wonders for sensitive and aging skin: Smooths wrinkles, softens scarring, all around improvement and moisture.
- Has been shown to increase circulation and decrease inflammation: Wonderful for redness, red bumps and the like.
- Intoxicating and rejuvenating scent helps your soul achieve harmony with creation. Or at least welcome spring with joy!
We make an extra special blend of organic rose hydrosol and orange blossom hydrosol called Sense & Sensitivity Mineral Mist. Combine it with Nourish & Replenish Oil to make a moisturizer.