Your Plan: Regimen & Rituals
Beautiful, healthy skin thrives with both a daily maintenance plan (a regimen) and the unique benefits that special occasions (rituals) provide. Pay attention to the little things: the methods, techniques, and timing can impact the skin as much as the products and tools.
Your Daily Regimen Supports Overall Skin Function
Similar to what we recommend for authentic self-care, it is the nourishment, loving limitations (things like abstaining from known toxins), cleansing, and room for rest that we provide our skin with daily that allows for proper functioning and the building-up/breaking down process that continually occurs in vibrant skin.
Choose your Rituals to Improve How the Skin is Functioning
The added benefit of having specific weekly rituals greatly improves the results of your daily care! These rituals are like a festival or traditional holy day and not necessary as part of daily care. They actually show the “best results” when used as special occasion treats.
BYATM PRINCIPLE: The skin thrives on the consistency of your daily regimen and when it is nourished and functioning well, it responds to small amounts of stress in your weekly rituals in a positive way. The key is to make it “slightly nervous, slightly excited”.
Your Guide Along The Way
Meet your skin where it is at and “nudge” it back to center with our four pathways
At Brooklyn Herborium, we don’t consider labeling the skin as a “type” to be necessary because we are not trying to change what the skin does naturally or control its processes. Instead, we examine skin conditions and seek to discover the imbalance in a person’s topical skin care or self-care habits. We don’t ask “is it oily or dry?”. We ask “Is it functional or dysfunctional?” And when it is not performing all of its functions well, we ask “Is the skin getting all of its needs met in order to be healthy and vibrant, or is it lacking key components of necessary care?”
Start from where you are and identify where you want to go
Our method offers four pathways that can be intermingled to complete your regimen and provide pertinent rituals. We have named them to help you identify which products will provide the quickest, most direct journey to topical equanimity (good skin function), though all paths—with adequate self-care and enough time—lead there.
- Pore Refining for smoother skin: The Pore Refining Pathway supports the Lubrication and Hydration Function (oil/water balance and barrier) and is great when you experience dehydration, blackheads, milia or irritation related to barrier issues in addition to those times when you just want a little pep.
- Sense & Sensitivity for calmer skin: The Sense & Sensitivity Pathway supports the Cellular Communication Function (immune response) and is loved by those who experience re-activity and inflammation due to immune or auto-immune response in addition to those who are simply looking for a lovely sensory experience.
- Clear Complexion for clearer skin: The Clear Complexion Pathway supports the Elimination Function and greatly benefits those who are going through a period where the body is using the skin as an organ of elimination, resulting in stress bumps and pimples.
- Integrity for stronger, more resilient skin: The Integrity pathway supports how the skin acts as the body’s first line of defense (physical structure of the skin and its symbiotic biome) is helpful when the skin needs to rebuild in a strong, yet flexible way, preventing environmental damage, scars, and chronic infection.
Direction Is More Important Than Speed
Don’t fret if you have more than one (or all 4) pathways on your wishlist-just take the first step and choose one. Start with the Mineral Mist if you tend towards reactivity…start with oil cleansing a couple times a week if you are seriously congested…major stress bumps? Clear Complexion Clay. The most important part is that you are moving towards a place where your regimen is getting your needs met—and ALL of the pathways do that when you incorporate each step of the Regimen & Rituals.
The Road Less Travelled
If you are using controlling products, introduce these nourishing products and holistic techniques before slowly tapering off. Truly beautiful skin is not simply “under control,” but strong and vibrant. When we provide for its basic needs, our skin does all the work from the inside out. As our first line of defense, it is crucial for our wellbeing that our skin has this agency.
A Good Regimen: Step by Step
Our regimen is simple and economical-giving the skin the resources and messages necessary for optimal vibrancy and then taking a step back and allowing your body the agency to care for itself. When certain requirements are met, the body knows how to be beautiful and you don’t need to do much else.
AM: Facial Bathing and Moisture Duo, Morning Massage
Facial Bathing:When you wake, flush the skin with water to release metabolic waste. Pure water or an Herbal Infusion can be made into a facial bath in your sink, a vessel, or your own palms. Let your face sit in the water for a few moments and then splash the skin, alternating warm and cool water for a refreshing cleanse. No cleansing agents are necessary.
Moisture Duo: In the morning, make your customized moisturizer with our nourishing Moisture Duo. Drip 3 drops of Nourish & Replenish oil into the palm of your hand and spray 5 pumps of your Mineral Mist directly into the oil. Nourish & Replenish is best for finding and maintaining optimal functionality, but NO EVIL, Cow Fart Juice, or Seeds of Change can be used as a transitional oil in the Moisture Duo for a short time before finding equanimity at Nourish & Replenish.
Typical moisturizers (lotions or creams) are simply oil and water with an emulsifier and preservative. When we keep the oil and water separate until we emulsify them immediately before application, we don’t need those elements. Together, our Nourish & Replenish Oils and Mineral Mists support the skin’s natural processes by supplying nourishment for healthy cell growth while strengthening structural integrity and providing much-needed transdermal mineral absorption for good cellular communication.
Your Morning Massage: In the morning, focus your massage on the Activation Protocols of Facial Point Stimulation as well as Lymphatic drainage.
PM: Cleansing and Renewal, Rest
Cleansing: We have found that rotating the types of cleansing (oil cleansing, herbal and grain cleansing, or a clay mask) is more effective than using one type of cleanser all the time.
- The optimal frequency of our cleansing methods is: Oil cleanse 3 times a week, Sow Your Wild Oats (or Integrity Biome Rehab) 3 times a week and Clay Mask once a week.
- Oil Cleansing 3-5 times a week (No Evil, Cow Fart Juice, Seeds of Change)
- More oil cleansing (usually with NO EVIL) is appropriate for anyone who experiences congestion due to dehydration (such as blackheads or milia) but is not as beneficial for those who experience stagnation unless you are wearing sunscreen or makeup. It is very important to use an appropriate washcloth to remove the oil each time you oil cleanse.
- Use Cow Fart Juice for oil cleansing if there are large areas of breakout or skin that is not healing well until the skin has healed. Then use it periodically if desired.
- Use Seeds of Change in intervals over hardened skin that may have wrinkles, dark spots, or old scars. Be sure to take breaks, as the true results are revealed in the recovery.
- Oil Cleansing with with our Herbal Steamer is useful in cases of congestion due to dehydration (blackheads and milia) but can be used without oil to manage the topical biome (you know you need it this way if you have lots of pus). You can also dip a towel in the herbal water once it has cooled down and press it against your ski for an herbal compression.
- Herbal/ Grain Cleansing for exfoliation and renewal 3-5 times a week (Sow Your Wild Oats, Integrity Biome Rehab)
- If you are in need of barrier repair (and are sensitive and reactive because of it), use the Integrity Biome Rehab as a “cleanser” 3-4 times a week until your skin rebuilds its barrier and balances its pH so that the biome finds its symbiosis With proper self-care this is about 16 weeks-we offer an integrative therapy for Barrier Repair to support you in this.
- When traveling, or during a change of seasons, it is a great Idea to use the Integrity Biome Rehab mask to help your skin acclimate to the change of climate and give what it needs to build resiliency in any case.
- For a dramatic transformation of hardened, uneven skin, up your usage of Sow Your Wild Oats for a short period of time.
- Reactive skin may not be able to handle Sow Your Wild Oats more than once a week. After about 6 weeks of using your Mineral Mist (less with the proper self-care), see if you can bring it in more often. If you are still reactive, go back to once a week. We offer an Integrative Therapy to reduce Redness and Reactivity support you in this.
- Clay mask 5-15 minutes per week (Pore Refining Clay Mask, Sense & Sensitivity Clay Mask, Clear Complexion Clay Mask)
- Oil cleansing (and taking the oil off) before a clay mask makes it more intense.
- Applying oil UNDER the clay mask improves the efficacy of the oil and reduces potential irritation.
- The Ionic cleansing of the clay reaches it’s peak just before it dries, so it it important to keep the mask slightly moist with a spray bottle, dabbing with water, or using a wet towel. Letting it dry out not only nullifies the good work it is doing, but can irritate the skin.
Your Evening Massage: At night, Focus your Facial Point Stimulation on the areas of the subtle body you would like to give gentle reminders to and follow with gentle lymphatic manipulation (Drain). One night a week, it is a great idea for anyone with well nourished, functioning skin to perform a Fascia/Lymphatic Manipulation Massage (can be learned during a service or at one of our workshops) to encourage clean-up of stagnation and maintain radiance.
Renewal: We try to avoid “doing the work” of renewal for the body. Instead, after cleansing the evening, we recommend misting 5 pumps of your Mineral Mist onto the skin to supply it with the messages and minerals (for good cellular communication) and drifting off to sleep on a silk pillowcase, allowing the skin to do the work for itself.
Our functional skin care line requires you to mix the products appropriately in order for you to get the full results.
The Between You & The Moon Functional Skin Care Line is uniquely formulated to offer the skin what it needs topically to stay healthy without the use of any artificial chemicals or preservatives. In order to do this, the products must to used together in the manner we recommend. (If you don’t want to do this, we offer our methods fully prepared so they don’t need to be mixed as our Advanced Skin Care Line.)
Our Functional Skin Care Oils:
- Nourish & Replenish: Formulated to provide balanced daily nourishment for all skin types.
- NO EVIL: Oil cleanser that removes make-up. A good start for reactive skin.
- Cow Fart Juice: Breakout, infection and wound areas. May be used as a spot treatment after the Moisture Duo.
- Seeds of Change: Environmentally damaged areas (used periodically for best results)
Our Mineral Mists:
- Pore Refining Mineral Mist: Helps to support oil/water function
- Sense & Sensitivity Mineral Mist: Supports cellular communication.
- Clear Complexion Mineral Mist: Supports the elimination function and detoxification.
- Integrity Mineral Mist: Supports the 1st line of defense, particularly structural integrity.
Our Weekly Rituals:
- If reactive or sensitive: Sense & Sensitivity Clay Mask
- For dull skin or clogged Pores: Pore Refining Seaweed Mask
- If active pimples or stress bumps: Clear Complexion Charcoal Mask
- If patches of irritation or small pus bumps: Integrity Biome Rehab Mask
- Steam Cleansing with our Herbal Steamer is especially useful as part of Oil Cleansing in cases of congestion due to dehydration (blackheads and Milia) and without oil to manage the topical biome.
If you’re unsure which is right for you, we also have a sweet Holistic Samples Kit that can help you get going!
If you are currently on a controlling or suppressive skin care regimen: READ THIS FIRST